Sunday 23 March 2014

The Tides of Life

Was Robinson Crusoe happy staying away from the human world of wonder?  Granted, he must have been extremely lonely, and must have missed great support systems. But  here, on this boathouse, watching the breaking dawn in the far horizon, with only the sound of lapping water against the boat, I feel like Crusoe... Away from civilization with only the coconut palms, and the water hyacinths for company; with endless stretches of water as far as my eyes can see in the pre-dawn dark.

The sound of steady rowing caught my attention, and I saw a row boat barely visible because of its thin, elongated shape, approaching my houseboat.  It was so thin, it looked like a  log of wood and as it neared me, I could make out the shape of a wizened old turbaned man, rowing away effortlessly. He passed by so close, I was afraid he would hit the boat I was in.  As he noticed me, he waved out and grinned at me as passed. Pure reflex as a social being made me wave out to him. 

Closely following him a while later, passed what they call a bus boat or a ferry. Life was starting to unfold. On the other side was a small pathway that led to the village. The crowing of the cock was becoming steadily louder and the birds were waking up. On the village path people were passing by, with cloth bags tucked under their arms, perhaps on their way to work. A girl walked past hurriedly, almost running, to catch the ferry which I had seen approaching. But barring this occasional race against time, life was meandering along. The plop of the fish now and then, and the flutter of a bird as it darted by were still the only sounds in the silence.  
Now and then a ferry passed by, rocking my boat gently. I have been told time and again that it would not be possible to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city for long periods of time. One would feel 'bored' the classical word used by all alike when one did not know what to do with oneself! But sitting here, this moment in time, I would seriously consider living this way for the rest of my life. 

A lot of unanswered questions, a lot of unfulfilling relationships and a lot of incomplete tasks await me when I get back.  Am I running away, I wonder, when I yearn to live an uncomplicated life?

Now and then, a boat passes me by as I sit writing this, catching me unawares, and a sudden cheerful Good morning startles me, as I respond in kind. Are the people normally so friendly, or are they making a concession to a stranger in their midst who they feel is probably alone? Whatever the reason, these simple greetings with no ulterior motives do connect me to civilization. 

Man is a social being, but in the process of being social, has also learnt a lot of anti-social behavior, which pushes one away from the fabric of society, making one reach out to the uncomplicated quietude of nature. I guess that is where I am... Wanting to stay on the fringe of the social network, refusing to be drawn into the web of disturbing relationships and falsehood, of pleasing people simply because I need to survive. But also not becoming a recluse, for I, unlike Crusoe, am a social being, loving the creation of the universe's most complicated species: mankind, and the workings of his mind!

Maybe I could use these getaways to reaffirm my faith in life, and to restore my strength to handle the turbulence of daily living. Just like how the boat, anchored at the shore rocks but does not float away every time the water body is disturbed by passing boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment