Friday 6 February 2015

Reconnecting

I have spoken of broken relationships... Today I am thinking of relationships that have stood the test of time, and though have been dormant have not lost their flavor or strength of feelings.
 
I reconnected with a friend of mine whom I had lost touch with more than twenty years ago.  Though she had made the required calls when I had a crisis in my life, and we spoke for a while, I had really not made any efforts to get the relationship back on track. When I visited the city where our relationship had started, I decided to spend a day with her.

I was absolutely humbled by the way we greeted each other. I knew what the phrase means in its true sense when they say standing the test of time.  It was as if I had somewhere been connected all the while I was away. We had our usual cuppa ginger tea, sitting on the very same chair I had sat on eons ago, while our chatter was interrupted by her statement:  "Are you really here?" She also told me she was apprehensive about whether we could be comfortable with each other after so long... She also said she had called me once sometime back, and I sounded very preoccupied, hence was not very sure I was the same person.  I did not even remember and realized how in this humdrum of daily living, we tend to sweep people away.

We had lunch together, and also relived our fun times when we bought Chocobar for dessert... And how she insisted on licking the last slurp off the paper, making us feel like kids at a sleepover picnic!
We shared anecdotes, people and pain. We also shared quiet moments of togetherness where we thought about how life has taken us through myriad paths of experience, some of which had left us scarred and some strong. We also debated about how our relationship is still somewhere strong at the roots, even while exchanging notes about apparently strong bonds that broke without any rhyme or reason.  All of us are predominantly acting from social interest, and being a recluse is not a natural state of being. But, she said, "I don't have any of my old friends around largely because they may feel I am very opinionated.  But aren't we all?"

The day passed by too soon.  I am not sure when we will meet again, but when I took down her postal address, I told myself I would at least make sure I will write to her. She is not yet comfortable with the world of internet, and seeing the postman deliver new year cards, which she did not open as yet, waiting for 31st, brought home the stark reality of how much we all crave for human company.
I only hope I don't get too caught up in issues that don't matter, or allow other matters of apparently great consequences come in the way of our staying connected with each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment