Monday 27 November 2017

For they may come and they may go, but I love on forever!

I had a very long and a happening day yesterday.  The week had been very tiring and busy, and I was nursing a bad back as a result of all the work and running around.  I checked my mobile for messages halfway through cooking, and saw a lot of missed calls from a friend of mine, who never calls me in the morning as both of us are rushing to work. 

Worried I called her back at once, only to hear her gasping and choking, and crying.  I managed to get some sense out of her, got to call my support system, as I was not in a position to drive because of my back.  I also managed to call a couple of her friends whose number I fortunately had, and we all reached her place. 

The situation was brought under control with difficulty, and meanwhile having constant calls from my place of work, I  settled my friend, arranged for food, promised to visit the clinician with her in the afternoon.  We finished all this by 5 ‘0’ clock and went back to my place, where we hashed out the issue again and again, till we could speak no more, and she left.

The day no doubt left me drained.  The day triggered a memory of another somewhat similar incident, when I was driving back from work one day and another friend called me sobbing her heart out, and claiming to walk out of her marriage.  I turned around, went to see her, brought her home and calmed her down for the time being.  She stayed with me for a couple of days, sharing deep secrets of her life she had never shared with anyone before, and which of course I have not either till date.

They patched up and she went back home.  And after that there was not much to say… she simply dropped out of my life... like the countless others who faded out like a black and white movie.  But like I mentioned to someone earlier, the fading out of these people is not an issue for me. No one stays forever.  It is how the fading out happens that hurts.  Being there for people is a part of being me.  I cannot be anyone else.  But to know that these people who for no reason whatsoever just got up and walked away with not so much as a good-bye, have not managed to change my view  on love and relationships, and have not succeeded in making me cynical, is very very gratifying to know. I thank the universe for testing this fact!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting. Nice to know that people open up to you and lucky are those who have you.

    ReplyDelete