Wednesday 2 October 2013

Of Struggles and Strength

"The struggle you're in today is developing the strength you need for tomorrow. Don't give up."

I read this somewhere, and developed a lot of the strength to move on in life... One day at a time, one moment in time. For as long as I can remember, I have been a fighter... Never given up a fight, and have only become stronger as time moved on. I grew in strength, and also in experience and human relationships. One strange thing I encountered though, in my growth... People grew away from me. Nothing overt, but the dynamics of relationships slowly changed. The journey was akin to a bitter
sweet experience; love your strength, but hate your guts!

My strength has helped me go on auto-pilot in terms of crisis, but this very strength had been responsible for me telling people my true thoughts, and consequently making people feel uncomfortable and perhaps hating my outspokenness.

Which brings me to the thought: why is it that we need strength and guts to speak to people? Why is it that we are cloaked in artificiality, which does not allow the warmth of a true relationship to emerge and connect? And if and when there are feelings to be shared or hurts to be nursed, why do we need to steel ourselves to convey them?

No comments:

Post a Comment