Wednesday 14 May 2014

The Glass Bubble

I waited for the watchman to open the gate to park my car inside. Glancing around, I saw a car parked a couple of meters away. The AC was running in the car and though the glass was rolled up, I could see a little girl in the front seat, with a person at the driver's seat. The child seemed to be eating something, and suddenly the window of the car rolled down, an empty carton of juice and an empty  packet of chips came flying out of the window. I parked my car inside, went out of my building, and tapped on the window of the parked car. The child looked out at me with her nose stuck to the glass, and I smiled at her. The man, presumably the father, rolled down the window. I addressed the child, gently telling her not to litter the road, and how we all need to take care of our environment. Before I could even complete my sentence, the father took off. He wanted to know why I was bothered, to mind my own business etc. When I remonstrated that it was part of our responsibility to our children to teach them such attitudes, he shot back, "Ok then you come in and take a class for my child..." And he rolled up the window!!!
 
Is this what our futuristic view is about? Are we not obliged to impart knowledge on how to live a more fruitful, meaningful life to the next generation? I have come across parents who feel they can create a glass bubble for their children. But then, when the children do have to move out into the world, all survival skills, social rules, feelings of empathy and interpersonal skills are missing. Children who grow up with the 'I, Me, and Myself' attitude have a very warped view of others and the larger world in general, and they fancy themselves as either the 'He Men' of the Universe, or wither away and fade out, without leaving any mark on the sands of time.
 
Education is important; we spend so much time, effort, and money on making sure our children hold a valid degree. Can we also make sure they are equipped to be caring, gentle and sensitive human beings, who care for the world and Mother Earth too?

No comments:

Post a Comment