Wednesday 14 May 2014

Tunnel Vision

I think I know now, why the world is shrinking so much. A lot of us are developing what is called a tunnel vision.  We do not take a moment to think differently, to see a different perspective, we are not pausing to reflect a moment on how our words and actions can actually convey different meanings to the other party. In other words, we have taken relationships, people and the world for granted. It is fine if all of us develop tunnel vision I guess, but then there is this minuscule section of the human population, which believes in fully functioning eyesight!

I had gone for a film with a two of my friends, and at the last minute, one of them told me another one of her friends was joining us. Well I was not really fine with it, as this particular person was not really someone I got along with, and all of us were aware of this fact.  In fact, our last meeting a couple of years ago had been extremely unpleasant, and our common friend was quite aware of this fact. But not wanting to be a killjoy, I went along. After all it was just a movie, and we were not really at loggerheads! There was some confusion about the tickets, but I refused to allow anything to spoil my afternoon, and so just left it to them to sort out the issue. My friend picked me up on her bike, and I was not sure how her other friend was landing up, but like I said, I was set to enjoy myself, and it was not really my problem.

After the movie was over was when there was a feeling of intense discomfort. One bike and three of us... How do we get home? And this is where I got the feeling I mentioned when I  started out writing this piece. She just turned to the other friend who had accompanied us, and who stays on the other side of the town, and asked her if she would drop me back home. "Otherwise, I have to make two trips," she said. I was taken aback at this blatant brushing of social decorum, which I think should exist in every relationship, however close. I mean, the vehicle is mine, the plan for the movie was mine, and here I was, left wondering whether someone would be kind enough to drop me back home! And all because of another individual with whom I did not share much in common, and who in fact had been downright rude during our last meeting. 

Was I wrong in feeling I was being taken for granted? Would it not have been more appropriate if I had been informed earlier about the change in plans, and also about the subject of conveyance so that there would have been no awkward moments, no discounted feelings?

I have been the kind of person who would love to have all her friends get along with each other. But I also have realized it is not possible. So I have learnt to keep my social circles separate, for I would not want anyone to be uncomfortable at my expense. But here I was, thrown into a situation which was distinctly uncomfortable. I also had to apologize to the friend who dropped me back home, as she would not hear of me getting back on my own.
 
All in all, what I was looking forward to as a relaxed afternoon, turned out to be discomfiting, leaving an unpleasant taste in my mouth. It made me mull over human behavior, and of course, reach for my note pad to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment